Wild Asparagus Weekend
April 14-15-16, 2023
George Marshall calling to music by Wild Asparagus
Wild Asparagus Weekend at the Dancing Fish of Lake Santa Fe–April 14-15-16th 2023 Contra dance to one of New England’s finest bands, Wild Asparagus, at the newly-refurbished Dancing Fish, on Lake Santa Fe in Melrose, Florida (18 miles east of Gainesville).
The wonders of Wild Asparagus never cease. Together for thirty years, their music has matured like a fine wine. This powerful ensemble brings a unique sound and dynamic energy to contra dancing weaving a spell that you wish would never end. Their creative, driving tunes keep dancers energized and inspired while George’s smooth, efficient calling makes challenging contras seem easy as pie.
- George Marshall, renowned for his graceful calling style, also plays concertina, bodhran and bones.
- Ann Percival delights dancers with irresistible piano and guitar rhythms and mellifluous vocals.
- David Cantieni, woodwind wizard, adds rich layers to each arrangement with flute, tin-whistle, oboe, saxophone and bombard.
- Becky Tracy graces each tune with her elegant, energetic fiddling.
- Pokey on percussion
- Add bodacious bass player Mark Murphy and you’ve got one Big, Bold sound.
Four Contra Dances in three days!
- FRIDAY EVENING (4/14): 7:00 pm – 10:00 pm
- SATURDAY AFTERNOON (4/15): 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- SATURDAY EVENING (4/15): 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
- SUNDAY AFTERNOON (4/16): 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm
LOCATION: Dance at the newly constructed dance barn at The Dancing Fish, 24800 SR-26, Melrose, FL 32666 (the western edge of Melrose, FL). Bring a lawn chair & enjoy outdoor activities on the shore of Lake Santa Fe when you’re not busy dancing.
- Adult (age 26+) $20 per dance. Weekend Pass: $60 for entire weekend
- Youth (age 16-25) $10 per dance Package Price: $30 for entire weekend (ages 15 & under).
- Children & non-dancers may watch & listen for free.
Snacks to share will be appreciated at all four dances this weekend.
OTHER ACTIVITIES Overnight camping, swimming, sailing, kayaking, canoeing, boating, fishing, are available. Bring your own boat. Dancers should make their own arrangements. Grilling is allowed within the compound (bring your own grill).
- For bookings, you must first be: (1) fully vaccinated; (2) registered and (3) logged in to your account.
- One ticket only per person (everyone makes their own booking).
- Select your booking category and send your booking.
- After it tells you “Booking successful”, pay for your booking using the PayPal button below.
- You will receive an email notification confirming your booking. You are good to go!
Log in if you already have an account with us.