Feb 19, 2022: Vicki Morrison & Katie’s Contradiction
In this issue…
- Will Mentor, Sam Bartlett & Co: What a weekend it was!
- Tested for Covid-19 lately?
- Is there camping at The Dancing Fish?
- Get ready for Vicki Morrison & Katie’s Contradiction!
- What makes The Dancing Fish a safer contra dancing venue?
- When can I make a booking for Wild Asparagus Weekend?
Will Mentor, Sam Bartlett & Co: What a weekend it was!
Missed our kick-off dance weekend with Will Mentor? Whoever we ask, by everyone’s account it was simply amazing.
Whether you missed the weekend or not, you can see who was there, what it looked like—and what-all you missed! Start with David Frantz’s photo albums.
Want to dance square and contras with Will Mentor at The Dancing Fish again? Watch for Will to call again this November 4-6.
Tested for Covid-19 lately?
Were you a dancer at the last Dancing Fish weekend? We recommend that dancers test themselves regularly for Covid-19, especially shortly before and/or after dance events.
Patrick, for example, danced the whole weekend (albeit masked) with nearly everyone. He twice (24 hours apart) then tested negative (along with everyone who has reported so far) using the free government-issued rapid diagnostic test kit.
If you tested for Covid-19 after a DF event, please let us know your results—whether positive or negative. To date, no one has tested positive since attending a Dancing Fish event. Let’s keep it that way!
Proof of Covid-19 vaccination required at the door. Or, better, register for free online & upload your photo of CDC vaccination record. You become a registered Dancing Fish member and newsletter subscriber. Your name will appear on our subscriber list—so you won’t have to carry that wretched CDC card to DF events!
Is there camping at The Dancing Fish?
In a word—Yes! Joe Rush welcomes fully vaccinated dancers to stay on the grounds and camp in their tents or RVs.
We do ask that you register & book that event and let us know when you are coming.
The Dancing Fish public facilities during dance weekends include two showers and two toilets.
Besides tent & RV camping, The Dancing Fish on Lake Santa Fe is also your perfect base for bike rides as well as kayaking, swimming and sailing. Bring your own kayak!
Have other questions? Check with our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ). If your Q & A is not there, write to Patrick@dancingfish.dance for a same-day response from Patrick.
Get ready for Vicki Morrison & Katie’s Contradiction this Saturday Feb 19:
Katie’s Contradiction is
- Gary Zimmerman on fiddle;
- Pete Sucsy on banjo;
- Eleta Sucsy on penny whistle;
- Tim Stevens on guitar; and
- Benny McDowell on keyboard
“It’s all about making sure dancers, both new and experienced, have a memorable and joyful contra dance experience.”—VICKI MORRISON
What makes The Dancing Fish a safer contra dancing venue?
- The Dancing Fish of Lake Santa Fe is a private residence, so unhindered by the whims of local or state regulations. In short, the owner of a private residence makes his/her own house rules;
- Owner Joe Rush is a Harvard Medical School-trained physician and U-Florida College of Medicine faculty member with focus on epidemiology;
- The Dancing Fish is undoubtedly the best ventilated venue anywhere short of dancing outdoors—ask anyone who has attended a Dancing Fish weekend; and finally
- No one is permitted in The Dancing Fish who unvaccinated or cannot present proof of vaccination.
Q. When can I make a booking for Wild Asparagus Weekend?
That is the question that everyone is asking. Here is the short answer:
Online booking opens about a week prior to that event. WAW is not (or not yet) different.
However having said that, Joe also wants everyone to know that:
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory (either online or in-person);
- Masks are at each dancer’s own discretion;
- Dancers are asked (and expected) to make suggested donations. Taken together, the donations are divided among the caller, musicians and sound crew. So please pay in cash and not by check at the door.
The publisher (Patrick@) adds that:
- Whatever you may pay (or have paid) online goes into Joe Rush’s PayPal account. It gets credited as soon as you pay.
- However, we do not track donations (“because they are donations”) or, at least, we do not yet have all that information at our fingertips.
- We trust you. The online booking facility helps us to expedite your entry onto the dance floor.
- Dancers may make their donations at any time. That includes after an event—in case you weren’t able to pay at the DF event you attended.
In plain English, any and all vaccinated contra dancers are welcome on The Dancing Fish’s sprawling grounds—and that includes overnight campers & RVs.
We encourage everyone to do their booking online first—for the simple reason that our volunteers at the door will be flooded and people will have to wait outside to get admitted, etc.
Basically (and I may be corrected here) Joe wishes that no one should be turned away—except the unvaccinated. (If yours is a special case, address it to Joe Rush. Or to Patrick@dancingfish.dance for a fast (if somewhat less informed) response.
Joe has asked for everyone to register online with The Dancing Fish of Lake Santa Fe with their CDC-issued COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card. Once registered (for free), you become, as it were, a member of the club—yet The Dancing Fish is not a club. It is a private residence.